Michael Fassbender says Assassin’s Creed Film “Took Itself Too Seriously”

While movie adaptations of video games haven’t exactly had a great track record, hopes still sailed high for last year’s adaptation of Assassin’s Creed.  The film had a high-profile cast, acclaimed director, a huge budget, and a massive built-in following from the incredibly successful Ubisoft’s games series.

Unfortunately, the final product was met with poor reviews and a disappointing box office take, putting hopes of a sequel well into doubt.  Recently, star Michael Fassbender has spoken about what he thinks went wrong with the film, and the chances of a follow-up.

Speaking recently to Movienco, Fassbender stated that he didn’t think that the film was “entertaining” enough. “For sure, it wasn’t ideal,” he said. “I think we missed an opportunity there a little bit. So we’ll wait and see what Ubisoft are coming up with. But right now I don’t know.

I would make it more entertaining, that’s really the main note. The feeling of the film, I think it took itself too seriously and I would get to the action a lot quicker. I think there’s three beginnings of the film, which is a mistake.

Before Assassin’s Creed‘s release last December, there was talk of two more potential movies, with Fassbender onboard to both produce and star.  However, the film only made $54 million in the US, with a worldwide total of $240.6 million from a production budget of $125 million. Naturally, this does not bode well for the future of the film franchise.

The latest game in the series, Assassins Creed Origins, hits PC, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4 on October 27.

Be sure to checkout our homepage and follow us on Facebook & Twitter.  Always check back with Boom Howdy for more up-to-date news, reviews & podcasts!